Need a quick and refreshing side dish to add a pop of color and fresh flavor to your dinner table? Look no further than this super quick and easy strawberry fennel salad. The fennel offers a satisfying crunch, while the sweet strawberries balance the natural saltiness of the Feta cheese. It comes together in just 15 minutes, so it’s perfect for those busy weeknight meals.
Strawberry Fennel Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons ricewine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cups baby arugula, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 4 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
- springs fresh basil optional for garnish
- In a small glass or non-reactive bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your preferences.
- Arrange the spinach and arugula on a serving platter and top with sliced fennel, strawberries, and Feta cheese.
- Serve immediately with chilled salad plates and dressing on the side.
Feel free to experiment with the salad dressing. I bet this salad would taste great with a poppy seed dressing!
You can also experiment with the greens. Try some of these combinations to see if they suit you better:
- Baby spinach alone
- Mixed baby greens
- Baby spinach, butter lettuce and romaine
For this salad, you do want to use a strongly flavored green such as spinach so that it balances the fennel and strawberry, but feel free to mix and match the rest.
Take Charge of Your Health!
Changing your eating habits can be tough. But it doesn’t have to be if you take a little time to think it out and create a plan.
This Healthy Eating Worksheet will walk you through the process of creating a healthy eating plan. All you need to do is print it out, set aside some time to complete it, and then fill it out. Then you can create your plan, knowing that you have addressed potential obstacles and came up with some creative ways to handle them.