If you’re making rice for dinner, why not a bit extra to make this salad the next day? This is a great recipe for when it’s just too hot to cook. And it uses fresh fruits that are in season this time of year.
If you are taking this dish to a potluck dinner, wait until you arrive to add the fresh fruit. It will not have to be heated or refrigerated.
- 2 cups of cooked long-grain rice, cooled
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh peach
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons chopped almonds
- Heat a small, dry skillet. Add almonds and stir until toasted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, juice, vinegar, shallots, salt, and pepper.
- In a large salad serving bowl, toss together gently the almonds, cooked rice, peach and berries.
- Add dressing to salad and toss gently again.