Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as the saying goes. Everyone — from little ones to adults — needs a good start. A nutritious breakfast gives you energy so you can work, learn, play and socialize. But people are so busy these days, they often go without breakfast. So how can you get the nutrients you need quickly? Here’re some ideas for creating a healthy breakfast every day in less than ten minutes.
Step One: Prepare in advance of shopping for ingredients
The weekends are the time when most families get their errands done. That means grocery shopping for the upcoming week. Sit down for a few minutes and plan the week’s breakfasts. Think about what you can make ahead. Great make ahead ideas include:
- Whole grain waffles — pop them in the toaster in the morning before school. If you flavor them with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, they may not even need syrup.
- Fruity pancakes — pop them in the toaster. Add apple chunks or other fruit to the mix. Then your children can eat them by hand on their way out the door.
- Oatmeal — steel cut oats warm up nicely in the microwave. And, you can put them in the frig at night with some water or milk and some frozen fruit. In the morning, they’ll be ready to eat cold or warmed in the microwave!
Other quick breakfast ideas include:
- Yogurt with granola and fruit topping (You can cut up the fruit ahead of time)
- Egg sandwiches. Try English muffins, a slice of American cheese, and scrambled or a fried egg.
- Smoothie with protein powder. A smoothie is delicious, and with a yogurt base and lots of fruit, it can also be healthy. Add a scoop of protein powder to the mix to make sure you have enough energy to get through your morning successfully.
Step Two: Shop from the list you prepared
Once you’ve decided what to serve in the morning, make a list of the ingredients you’ll need. Head to the supermarket and make sure you shop from your list. The trip will go much more quickly.
Step Three: Do what you can ahead of time.
Spend an hour on Saturday or Sunday night preparing some meals ahead of time. For example, you can make a double batch of waffles and pop them in the freezer. In the morning all you need to do is put them in the toaster and serve. Breakfast in less than ten minutes.
Step Four: Commit to the process.
Yes, you’re busy. Find ways that your family members can help you prepare breakfast. For example, can they slice fruit? Can they stir the steel cut oats? Can they set the yogurt toppings on the table? Get the whole family involved.
Breakfast is an essential component of a healthy diet. With a little planning and forethought, you can make sure your entire family is well nourished. And you can accomplish it without too much trouble, stress or headaches. Remember, breakfast is important for you, too. Be a good role model and sit down with your family for that first meal of the day as often as you can.
Take Charge of Your Health!
Changing your eating habits can be tough. But it doesn’t have to be if you take a little time to think it out and create a plan.
This Healthy Eating Worksheet will walk you through the process of creating a healthy eating plan. All you need to do is print it out, set aside some time to complete it, and then fill it out. Then you can create your plan, knowing that you have addressed potential obstacles and came up with some creative ways to handle them.