With New Year’s Eve right around the corner, I thought you might like some suggestions for cocktails you can toast the coming year with. Yes, I know, you could easily grab a bottle of something pre-made that comes from the shelf. But pre-made drinks are usually very high in sugar. If you had a healthier option, would you give it a try? Take a look at these healthier versions of your favorite holiday cocktails.
Rosemary Gin Spritz
Simplicity is one way to make it easy to have a healthier drink. Clear alcohol with some lighter mixers helps keep the calories down and can often make digestion easier. Just be sure to read the labels.
- 1 large shot of gin
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 3 ounces soda
- 1/4 tsp honey
- Fresh rosemary for garnish
- Mix together gin, lemon juice, and honey. Add in soda. Serve with 2-3 pieces of rosemary to garnish.
Winter Holiday Ocean Breeze
If you’re looking for something that can give you some much-needed refreshment, then the winter holiday ocean breeze might be the absolute best drink for you. This drink is wonderfully festive and is great for your urinary tract.
- 1.5 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces club soda
- 1/2 ounce quinine simple syrup
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice (pink is more festive)
- A few pomegranate seeds
- 3 mint leaves, sliced
- Crushed ice
- Combine vodka and club soda in a glass.
- Add simple syrup, grapefruit juice, pomegranate seeds and mint. Stir.
- Add crushed ice for a fast chill.
Sangria is a favorite for all sorts of functions and get-togethers. It is usually made with a red wine and fruit chunks, but is there a way for this classic drink to get healthier than that? Yes, it can! This sangria recipe will definitely raise some eyebrows and impress some guests. It comes out best when it’s made in a large quantity, so grab a punch bowl and some plastic wrap.
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 pear, cut into matchsticks
- 2 bottles of sauvignon blanc (or use Gewertraminer for a sweeter sangria)
- 2 cups frozen mango cubes
- 3 clementines, wedges separated
- 1-1/2 cups vodka
- Place all ingredients in a punch bowl or large pitcher. Let it sit for the night, then stir it up and serve.