Who doesn’t like mac-n-cheese? This simple dish of macaroni and cheese sauce has become a crowd pleaser — especially if you have kids — at many an Easter meal. Below is a simple, creamy version you can make in your slow cooker, along with some variations I like to do to mix things up and possibly even “adult-ify” this mainstay.
- 12 oz macaroni, shells, spirals or your favorite pasta
- 3-4 cups shredded cheddar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- salt,pepper & nutmeg to taste
Directions for Mac-n-Cheese
- Add all the ingredients to your crock pot and cook on low for 2 hours or until the pasta is done.
- Need to lower the glycemic index so someone with diabetes can eat it? Choose whole-grain or protein-enriched pasta. Or, increase the protein of the dish by adding in some meat, as suggested below.
- Add in sliced sausage, hot dogs or Vienna sausage.
- Drop the nutmeg and add in mustard instead.
- Toss in some cooked meat balls.
- Add in some chopped garlic and fresh basil for a pesto-inspired version of mac-n-cheese.
Planning an Easter Meal at Home?
Make it a relaxing, easy event with the tips, suggestions and recipes included in Easy Easter at Home, Carma’s Cookery’s latest report. Take a sneak peak at the Table of Contents, then grab a copy of your own!
- Planning Ahead: Easter Activities & Decorations
- Hosting Easter Without the Stress
- Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner?
- Share The Joy – You Don’t Have To Do Everything Yourself
- It’s Not Just About the Easter Bunny – A Short History of Easter
- Getting Creative with Leftovers
- Closing Words
- Crafting Ideas