I don’t know about you, but I think pork chops taste delicious — especially the way my husband makes them! That’s all fine and good, however, did you know that there are health benefits associated with eating this tasty meat? Many people do not realize that pork is actually good for you. Keeping that in mind, read on to discover some reasons why you should eat pork chops, and pick up some top tips on how to cook them as well.
What are the health benefits of chops?
- High in protein: One of the best things about pork is that it is high in protein, which makes them great for metabolic renewal. In a three-ounce portion you can expect to consume roughly 24 grams of protein. This is important because protein is vital in relation to maintaining a strong immune system and it also helps with repairing your muscles after a workout.
- Source of Zinc: In addition to this, pork is also a good source of zinc, an essential mineral. Its purpose is to aid reactions in your body. Therefore, if you do not have enough zinc it can actually lead to night blindness and a weakened immune system.
B Vitamins: The third and final reason why pork is a meat you should enjoy without feeling guilty is that it contains plenty of B vitamins. B vitamins are the precursors to neurotransmitters, the help form normal red blood cells, and they aid food metabolism.
Different ways to cook pork chops
I will often choose port chops at a restaurant, in part because no matter how hard I try I’ve never had much luck making them at home. Then my husband, who does not have much experience cooking, comes in and makes fantastically juicy and delicious pork chops. What was I doing wrong, that he was doing right? I dug a little bit deeper and learned some cooking methods that work well with pork chops.
- Frying: Frying is a popular choice because it is quick and easy. It tastes good as well! All you need to do is heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and then add your pork chop until it is cooked through. You can add a little bit of seasoning at the end to give more flavor. We have those cool copper nonstick pans, and my husband uses very little oil and a lot of onions to create his masterpiece (can you tell I love his pork chops?).
- Baking: If frying isn’t for you, why not bake your pork chops instead? Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, season the meat and then bake in the oven until they are cooked.
- Grilling: Grilling is the best option to go for if you are being health conscious. A lot of restaurants prefer this technique. All you need to do is take your grill pan out and make sure you turn the chop over when necessary so that both sides are cooked evenly.
So there you have it: the top three ways to enjoy tasty pork chops. Don’t forget to accompany your chops with some tasty side dishes. A lot of people love a nice dash of BBQ sauce with their chops. However, apple also complements pork beautifully, and thus you may wish to go for a salad containing this crunchy fruit. One thing is for sure, you are bound to enjoy!