This twist on a flavorful sugar cookie is made a bit healthier by using whole wheat flour and substituting some of the butter with olive oil.
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar (divided)
- 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp cinnamon (divided)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (divided)
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, add flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, butter and olive oil.
- Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until the dough begins to form pea-sized balls.
- Add in 1/4 cup maple syrup, egg and maple flavoring. Mix again until just combined and the dough can be formed into a ball.
- Chill dough for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Roll chilled dough into balls up to an inch-and-a-half in diameter.
- Mix together 3 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon. Roll the cookie balls in this mixture.
- Place two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush the cookies the remaining maple syrup.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 13 to 17 minutes.