Looking for the great recipes in life is an adventure in itself. When you’re looking for something that feels comforting, but also has the health benefits, it can be hard to find. Many people are moving towards the Mediterranean diet because it is plentiful in nuts, vegetables, as well as fish.
That said, many of us can find fish is a little bit too much. Therefore, here is a Mediterranean style recipe for fish that you can try out. This recipe for Mediterranean baked fish features a parmesan tomato sauce and is full to the brim with Italian herbs and seasonings. It feels hearty and healthy.
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 4 Tablespoons white wine
- 24 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 Tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 18 oz flounder or sole fillets (Feel free to choose any fish you want as a lot of people don’t like an incredibly fishy flavor.)
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Preheat oven to 430 F.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the tomatoes into the boiling water, and remove to a medium bowl of ice water.
- Drain, then remove the skins. Chop, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan (over medium heat).
- Sauté the onion until tender.
- Stir in garlic and oregano.
- Stir in tomatoes, and cook until tender.
- Mix in the wine, olives, capers, lemon juice. Finally, add the chopped basil.
- Reduce the heat, blend in parmesan cheese, and cook until the mixture is reduced to a thick sauce.
- Place the fish in a shallow baking dish. Cover with the sauce. Top the dish with the remaining basil leaves.
- Bake 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
The great thing about this dish is that it can be a perfect accompaniment to a vegetable dish. If you are looking for an oven roasted vegetable recipe that’s easy, you can find plenty around.
Be sure that you go for the rainbow in terms of colors. The more colors in your vegetables, the better. The benefits of this dish, with the fish, vegetables, and that rich Italian sauces that it provides you with a healthy dose of protein, carbs, as well as lots of healthy fats. If you want to add a little bit extra to the dish, drizzle it in extra virgin olive oil, and it’s ready to serve up!
The Mediterranean diet is one of the best ways for a healthy heart, and this dish serves four people but is also an excellent way for you to give your children a colorful plate that’s also very healthy. The olives add to that being on vacation vibe and is a perfect dish for summer nights. Get yourself a glass of wine, relax on the verandah, and look out at the sun going down!