Broccoli slaw is one of the latest “health” tends to be added to the salad aisle of your grocery store. Basically, it is the stems of broccoli — that part no one really wants to eat — julienned or shredded into more easily consumable pieces. Often, the broccoli is mixed in with shredded carrots, as well. Some people like to saute broccoli slaw, while others turn it into an interesting and high-fiber salad.
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw (you can find this in your produce section)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- Optional: 1/2 C chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios) and/or 3/4 C dried cranberries
- Optional: 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Directions for Broccoli Slaw Salad
- Add dressing ingredients to a large bowl and mix together well.
- Add salad ingredients and stir well, making sure to coat everything evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld together and enjoy!
- Don’t want to add sugar? Use Splenda or stevia to taste.
- Toss in some poppy or chia seeds for texture.
- Use ranch dressing instead of the dressing recipe above.
Planning an Easter Meal at Home?
Make it a relaxing, easy event with the tips, suggestions and recipes included in Easy Easter at Home, Carma’s Cookery’s latest report. Take a sneak peak at the Table of Contents, then grab a copy of your own!
- Planning Ahead: Easter Activities & Decorations
- Hosting Easter Without the Stress
- Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner?
- Share The Joy – You Don’t Have To Do Everything Yourself
- It’s Not Just About the Easter Bunny – A Short History of Easter
- Getting Creative with Leftovers
- Closing Words
- Crafting Ideas