Here’s a simple and tasty baked chicken meal for a cold Autumn evening. It has only 5 ingredients and only about 10 minutes of prep time. If you aren’t a fan of chicken breasts, feel free to use any parts of the chicken you do like. The recipe will work just fine.
Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 Tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 4 4-oz boneless,skinless chicken breasts
- ½ mediumred onion, diced
- 1 cup long-grainbrown rice, rinsedand drained
- 3 cup chickenbroth, preferablyorganic
- Seasalt and black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheatoven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch bakingdish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heatthe remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts and season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add onion and rice to the prepared baking dish. Season with salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Pour the chicken broth over the rice and arrange the seared breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Tightly cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Make this Baked Chicken Recipe Your Own!
There are lots of ways you can unleash your Kitchen Creativity and give this recipe your own special twist. Here are some ideas.
Replace the Chicken with Something Else
- Instead of chicken breasts, cut a whole Cornish game hen into quarters or simply in half.
- Have some leftover turkey? Bake the rest of the casserole for the first 40 minutes, then add in your turkey leftover when you remove the foil.
- Mix up the chicken and instead of four chicken breasts, use a mix of parts, such as two breasts and 2-4 thighs. That way both your dark and light meat eaters will be happy.
Change Up the Flavor Profile
- Add some chopped, fresh garlic and saute with the onion before adding them to the rice.
- Season with some sage, rosemary and/or Italian Seasoning.
- Instead of 3 cups chicken broth, use 2 cups chicken broth and one cup dry, white wine.
Play Around with the Grains
- Use white rice, or a mixture of white, brown and wild rice.
- Try using either bulgar wheat or a mixture of bulgar and rice.
- For many, quinoa is a good, high-protein grain option
- Up for something more exotic? Try barley, freekeh or even triticale.
Experiment with one twist at a time, so you can know how it is affecting the overall dish. Then you can start mixing and matching. Soon the recipe will be completely yours!
Take Charge of Your Health!
Changing your eating habits can be tough. But it doesn’t have to be if you take a little time to think it out and create a plan.
This Healthy Eating Worksheet will walk you through the process of creating a healthy eating plan. All you need to do is print it out, set aside some time to complete it, and then fill it out. Then you can create your plan, knowing that you have addressed potential obstacles and came up with some creative ways to handle them.