This soup is great for cool days. It is smooth and creamy and combines two of my favorite foods: Yams and peanut butter.
- 2 10-12 oz yams, scrubbed
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- Prepare yams:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pierce yams with fork.
- Bake until tender, about 50 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel.
- Mash yams.
- Prepare soup base:
- Saute onion in oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, until translucent. About 10 to 11 minutes.
- Prepare soup:
- In a large blender, combine yams, onion, peanut butter, broth and spices.
- Blend until smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional spices listed above.
- Serve soup:
- Makes about eight servings.
- Garnish with chopped nuts.