I’ve been experimenting with this recipe for a few days, trying to get the right mix of texture and flavor. It was inspired because I accidentally bought steel cut oats rather than thick cut oats, and I couldn’t eat them because of what’s going on with my mouth after the accident two years ago. I wanted a smooth, tasty high protein breakfast without having to resort to a smoothie all the time. This is the result and it is so good!
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 serving of your favorite vanilla protein powder
- 2 tsp sugar-free fiber powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In order listed, place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30-40 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 30-40 seconds until the consistency you like.
- Let cool one minute before serving.
You can store the uncooked, blended mix overnight. I take it to work and heat it there. The cereal is about the consistency of Cream of Wheat, which is why I call it Cream of Oatmeal.